After the successful run of our first series of free online SkĒNOGRAPHIA Masterclasses, talks and upskilling workshops, engaging with the diverse range of voices & disciplines in Irish scenography, ISSSD proposes a second series that broadens its scope stimulating cross-collaborative dialogues with the theatre sector.
This second series looks at legacy as well as showcasing the emerging voices that are shaping Irish scenography, whilst nurturing those who will shape its future, with a tailored session for students exhibiting at PQ2023; it also continues fostering eco-sustainable discourses and will host two renowned international designers to discuss aesthetic trends.*
The first series marked a milestone in the growth of scenography education in Ireland, addressing current necessities of design for performance, providing expert technical and creative skills, mentorship and advice, engaging with eco-sustainable models and setting standards for visual rigour and best practices.
Besides, the masterclasses are recorded and published on ISSSD’s website, being an invaluable resource for professionals and students.
Finally, taking into consideration accessibility issues and possible public-health restrictions in 2022, we decided to continue this second series online.
However, in the spirit of the pre-pandemic initial idea for SkĒNOGRAPHIA, namely, live masterclasses, informal regular meetings and mentoring, we are incorporating two small-scale live events, COFFEE SPILLS, consisting of 4 morning meetings over 2022 and 2023 months open to any designers hosted by our sectoral partner, Irish Theatre Institute and WINE SPILLS consisting of an evening gathering on 23rd November 2022, 5pm-9pm at The Dean Art Studios.
- 30/11/2022 – 19.00 – 21.00 | Looking Back to Look Forward: A Retrospective of Irish Scenography with Frank Conway, Moggie Douglas, Alan Farquharson and Kathy Strachan
- 06/12/2022 – 11.00 – 13.00 | A Golden Thread: The Composition of Time with Peter Power
- 16/12/2022 – 11.00 – 13.00 | Theatricality across artforms: in conversation with visual artists Sarah Browne and Aoibheann Greenan
- 16/02/2023 – 11.00 – 13.00 | Contemporary Aesthetics in Theatre & Scenography with Serge von Arx
- 27/02/2023 – 18.00 – 20.00 | Looking Forward: Emerging Theatre Designers in Conversation with Maree Kearns. With Ellen Kirk, Pai Rathaya and Jack Scullion.
- 15/03/2023 – 11.00 – 13.00 | Creative Lighting Design with Kevin Smith and Sinéad Wallace
- TBC | Eco-Scenography and Green Theatre Initiatives with Stephen Bourke, Catríona Fallon, Saileóg O’Halloran and Maeve Stone
- TBC | Site-Specific Design / Collaborative Design – Directors & Designers with Owen Boss, Louise Low and Deidre Dwyer
- TBC | PQ2023 Student’s Exhibition Advice with Liam Doona and Niall Rea
All Masterclasses take place on Zoom and are free but ticketed. Bookings via Project Arts Centre website here
ISSSD is proudly funded by The Arts Council of Ireland
ISSSD is a Sectoral Partner of Irish Theatre Institute
ISSSD is a member of the Design & Crafts Council Ireland
ISSSD is an Associate Organisation of field:arts